One of the main reasons why people have laptops is because they need them for business and personal purposes. It is very handy that even students, moms, retirees, and ordinary employees carry them wherever they go.
A laptop is a personal computer designed for mobile use. It is small and light which is why it is very handy and convenient to carry around. Most people use it for both personal and business purposes.
For entrepreneurs, it is very useful since you can do transactions and go online even while having your coffee or lunch somewhere else. No need to worry about the internet because there are many coffee shops, restaurants, and bars offering free wireless internet connections.
Consequences of Carrying a Laptop
Most laptop users are prone to water accidents. Let us say, you are having coffee somewhere and you accidentally spilled your coffee onto your laptop. What can you do?
Water is not good for laptops or any electronic devices. Once the water reaches your laptop’s circuit board, it will be very damaging. You may need to buy a new one but the worst part of it is that the files stored in your laptop can be lost or damaged. This is not good especially if you are using your laptop for business purposes.
“Prevention is always better than cure”, so they say. However, if you are already in a situation wherein you accidentally spilled liquid into your computer, here are some tips on how you can save your laptop from serious damage:
- Shut it off! Quickly unplug the device after the spill and remove the batter and A/C adapter. This is important to avoid the device from shorting out. Turn the laptop upside-down immediately to stop the liquid from seeping into your device. 2. Disconnect all external devices. Be sure to remove all other Plug’n’Play devices such as flash disks, memory cards, CDs or DVDs, printers, webcams, headsets, keyboards, mice, etc. to avoid more damage.
- Clean up. Get paper towels or any absorbent material that is lint-free and try to clean up any part of the spill you can get. The reason why experts advise laptop owners to use lint-free cloth when cleaning up any kind of electronic device is that it prevents scratches.
- Check your laptop’s warranty. Check if the laptop is still covered by the warranty period. If yes, bring the device to the manufacturer’s customer service office as soon as you can.
If the warranty has elapsed, try doing the following steps:
– Try opening your laptop. Unbolt the screws carefully to expose the inner area of the laptop. Wipe the unit slowly. Remember to use a lint-free cloth.
– Let it dry. You have two options – letting the device dry naturally (usually takes 24-48hours) or letting it dry with light heat by placing it in direct sunlight). NEVER use hair dryers to dry your laptop since it will only cause static problems and fill it with more contaminants and dust.
– If you are afraid that opening the laptop will only do damage since you are not knowledgeable about these things, bring your laptop immediately to a professional computer technician to have it checked and repaired.
Sign up for our newsletter to get the best of The Sized delivered to your inbox daily.