Selecting the proper paint for your picnic table is of vital importance as it can determine its longevity. Selecting an unsuitable hue could cause its colors to flake off prematurely and leave your table looking rundown.
Painting a picnic table is an easy and effective way to update its appearance, giving it a new and appealing appearance.
If you want to skip the reviews, we say get the Rust-Oleum 1938502 Painter’s Touch Latex.
Best Paint For a Picnic Table Reviews
Krylon K05558007 COLORmaxx Spray Paint
- SPRAY PAINT AND PRIMER – Krylon COLORmaxx Spray Paint and Primer delivers premium coverage and superior...
- INDOOR/OUTDOOR RUST PROTECTION – Whether your spray paint project is inside or outdoors, this gloss...
- SATIN WHITE SPRAY PAINT – Color changes everything – from a furniture refresh to creative touch-up. A...
- EASY USE – The easy push big button spray tip on this all-purpose spray paint can helps you spray any...
- AMERICA’S FIRST SPRAY COATING – Krylon spray paint has been trusted by consumers since 1947....
Krylon COLORmaxx spray paint offers a durable formula capable of resisting chipping, flaking, and peeling as well as providing long-term gloss that can withstand weather changes.
Furthermore, this paint dries quickly while offering impressive coverage area; cleaning it up afterwards is effortless with low odor levels making this ideal for many surfaces such as metal and ceramic surfaces alike.
When choosing the color for your picnic table, take into account its style and finish when selecting its paint color.
Neutral hues like brown and gray tend to blend in seamlessly with natural environments; for an eye-catching contrast choose vibrant hues that compliment patio decor or use sealants as necessary to protect it against water and sunlight exposure.
Cheap paint may tempt you, but they’re not recommended for picnic tables. Cheaper options tend to flake off and chip easily compared to high-quality exterior paints; for best results, select an exterior-rated product with a clear coat finish.
Before beginning painting on a picnic table, always ensure it has been cleaned and sanded prior to beginning. Next, apply a clear coat in order to protect the surface from becoming dull and brittle – these come in various sheen levels so you can select one that complements the desired look of your piece.
If painting your picnic table isn’t your cup of tea, why not staining it instead? Staining can help preserve its structure while prolonging its longevity – an investment-grade semi-transparent stain can keep it looking its best for up to three years without needing another application!
When selecting an oil-based stain, ensure it won’t flake or peel. If in doubt about which product to use, consult with a professional. Staining may take longer than other projects but is well worth your effort in the end.
Rust-Oleum 249083 Painter’s Touch 2X Ultra
- Ideal for use on interior/exterior surfaces including wood, plastic, plaster, metal, masonry and unglazed...
- Oil-based formula is low odor, resist chips and provides long-lasting protection
- Dries to touch in 20 minutes and covers up to 12 sq. ft. per can
- Durable formula provides excellent hide and goes on smoothly
- Satin finish minimizes surface imperfections and provides excellent hide
Paint can have a big effect on both the aesthetics and durability of your picnic table, and choosing an acrylic water-based paint will best withstand rain, wind, and sun elements while drying quickly for easy clean-up. Oil-based paints may provide longer durability but require longer drying times.
Consider your surroundings when selecting a color for your picnic table, such as landscaping and decor. Neutral tones like brown or gray often blend seamlessly into natural environments; for something bolder, white picnic tables add an elegant flair that makes outdoor dining enjoyable.
Staining and painting picnic tables are both excellent choices, although staining may require more upkeep than painting.
Furthermore, staining may make achieving your desired look difficult as it requires sanding and priming steps that take more time than painting does; painting provides easier application while providing more customization of appearance for your table. When opting for painting as the final option it is crucial that a high-quality paint resistant to chips and fade is chosen if you decide this route.
Spray paints are an ideal choice for picnic tables, as they offer smooth and even coverage with minimum effort. In particular, look for ones that offer corrosion protection to safeguard against rusting and other forms of damage to the table’s finish. Moreover, this type of paint can also be applied directly onto various surfaces like metal and plastic without much difficulty.
if you need advice about which paint to select for your picnic table project, consulting a professional is always an option.
They can advise you on which is the most suitable paint and provide tips on achieving a professional-looking finish, while also helping determine whether a polyurethane sealant may be needed to protect it against the elements – while more costly than regular paint, polyurethane sealants typically last much longer and will require far fewer touchups later on.
Rust-Oleum 1938502 Painter’s Touch Latex
- Use for a variety of indoor and outdoor project surfaces including wood, metal, plaster, masonry or...
- Water-based acrylic formula is low odor, resist chips and provides long-lasting protection
- Covers up to 120 sq ft and dries to touch in 30 minutes for quick project completion
- Gloss finish provides a fresh new look for surfaces, goes on smoothly and provides excellent hide
- Prior to application sand surfaces with 180/200 grit sandpaper, then wash with a degreaser, allow the...
Over time, your picnic table’s paint may wear away due to constant exposure to sunlight and weather elements. It is crucial that you choose a long-lasting paint designed specifically for outdoor use to preserve and update its look while protecting it as much as possible – you can find various colors and finishes to meet any style or preference!
Spray and brush-on paint are two main forms of painting available to you when painting a picnic table, depending on the desired finish and amount of work involved.
Regular brush-on paint tends to be cheaper and offers more professional results; however, spray painting may be faster and simpler to use. It is essential that your surface be prepared by sanding and cleaning prior to applying any type of finish – adding a clear coat for extra protection and added radiance is also recommended!
Rust-Oleum 1938502 Painter’s Touch Latex offers long-term and high-quality painting solutions for picnic tables. This water-based acrylic paint has excellent coverage, dries quickly, is fade- and chip-resistant, as well as being UV-protected – everything you need for outdoor use!
Wood stain provides another option for your picnic table that combines rusticity with natural elements that match other backyard furniture. Plus, it’s more durable than painted picnic tables but requires additional care; to apply the stain you will have to sand and clean the wood first, but it will pay dividends over time.
Before choosing the color for your picnic table, keep the surrounding environment and how it will affect its paint job in mind. For instance, if your backyard features lots of vibrant plants and flowers, choosing more neutral tones might make sense; otherwise a brightly hued piece might stand out.
Wolman 360350 Outdoor Furniture Paint
- Perfect for refinishing and protecting exterior wood such as picnic tables, chairs, swing sets and more
- Water-based formula is 4X thicker than other outdoor furniture paint to provide deeper color and solid...
- Dries to the touch in 2-4 hours and covers approximately 20 sq. ft. per quart - two coats recommended
- Extra durable paint extends the life of wood in the harshest environments and protects from weathering
- For use on all types of hardwood - do not use on composite decking, concrete, fiberglass, tile or metal...
A picnic table requires paint that can withstand outdoor elements like rain and sun. To maximize longevity and resist sun fading, select high-quality acrylic paint formulated specifically for outdoor furniture such as picnic tables.
Sanding before applying paint will also help the new coats adhere more securely – once finished sanding be sure to clean off any dust left by using either a vacuum or tack cloth!
Before beginning painting, be sure to select a color that complements both the garden itself and any outdoor furniture that may exist.
For assistance in picking the ideal hue, browse online paint colors or visit your local hardware store – and if needed take note of whether you want glossy, semi-glossy, or satin finishes as they all create different looks while offering different levels of durability.
Once you’ve decided upon your color choice, the next step in painting your picnic table should be preparation.
The first step should be cleaning and sanding down to smooth out any rough spots before using a mask to protect from toxic fumes from the sanding compound. When that process is finished it’s time to begin applying paint; remember to allow each coat to dry between coat applications.
There are two primary options when it comes to painting your picnic table: regular brush-on paint and spray paint. Brush-on offers more professional coverage, but the spray is much quicker and simpler to use – the ultimate decision rests upon personal preferences and your desired look.
Painting a picnic table is an easy way to update your outdoor furniture, yet finding the right paint can be challenging. There are numerous factors that need to be considered such as finish type and quality of product – to make this decision simpler for you we’ve put together our favourite products on this list!
Rust-Oleum 7791502 Protective Enamel Paint
- Weather and corrosion resistant coating protects exterior/interior surfaces like wood, metal, concrete,...
- Oil-based formula provides a durable protective coating with excellent rust prevention
- Dries to the touch in 2-4 hours and covers up to 100 sq. ft.
- Excellent resistance to abrasion, fading and chipping
- Satin finish offers a low-sheen look
High-quality paint or stain will restore the beauty of your picnic table while helping protect it from the elements, decreasing the need for touch-ups.
When selecting paint for your picnic table, look for one with moisture resistance, UV ray protection, and temperature fluctuations; something with good coverage, long-term finish quality and that blends in seamlessly with the rest of your backyard furniture.
Water-based latex paint is ideal for painting picnic tables as it will provide a smooth and stunning finish that is easy to keep clean, as well as being free from VOCs.
In addition, it should feature hiding features to hide wood imperfections while making the finish appear complete; additionally, chip and fade resistance will keep it looking bright for longer.
Your picnic table paint color choices depend entirely on your personal style, from vibrant lime green for a summertime vibe, or hunter green as an understated shade to bring back memories of childhood camping trips.
Painter’s tape can create two-tone effects or allow you to express your artistic talents; alternatively, you may opt for a classic wood stain which gives a more classic appearance and may match better with existing outdoor furniture in your garden.
- EXTERIOR PAINT: KILZ Siding, Fence and Barn Paint offers coverage and protection against the elements,...
- ADVANCED FORMULA: This paint features a unique water/oil base formula for exceptional adhesion,...
- MULTIPLE USES: Use on properly prepared vertical exterior wood surfaces, masonry, stucco, and sanded...
- COVERAGE AND APPLICATION: Coverage varies by porosity from approximately 200 square feet per gallon on...
- KILZ has been making premium primers and paints for 40 years and leverage this experience in every gallon...
Selecting the proper paint for a picnic table is of utmost importance as it protects it against harsh weather conditions and gives it an appealing appearance. While there are various kinds of outdoor-grade paint available, each offers its own advantages.
Exterior-grade paint will ideally withstand damage caused by sunlight while high-quality options last longer and require fewer touch-ups compared to cheaper options.
One of the best choices for painting a picnic table is a semi-transparent stain. These come in various wood tones to blend seamlessly into any outdoor decor and can even create two-tone effects by painting just legs and support beams in one color, leaving the top untouched.
Krylon COLORmaxx spray paint and primer is an excellent option for picnic tables because its easy application makes application quick and painless, drying quickly while offering corrosion protection, durability, adhesion, odour-free formula that is eco-friendly, without harmful chemical emissions into the atmosphere.
As an additional layer of protection for your picnic table, polyurethane sealant is an excellent option to consider. Applying it after cleaning and sanding should help preserve its beauty while lasting through frequent use.
Fence and Barn Paint Exterior
- ACRYLIC WATER-BASED FORMULA - Our premium fade-resistant acrylic paint is fortified for years of lasting...
- LIVESTOCK-FRIENDLY - With a safe and non-toxic dry finish, this durable paint resists fading, peeling,...
- ONE COAT COVERAGE - This mold-resistant and environmentally-friendly outdoor paint performs well in any...
- GREAT FOR MULTIPLE SURFACES - Protect and enhance agricultural roofs, foundations, barns, fences, grain...
- EASY TO APPLY - Stir container thoroughly. Apply by brush, roller or airless spray (suggested tip size...
No matter if your picnic table is old and worn out or simply needs updating, painting it can be an enjoyable way to express your creativity.
Choose a hue that complements garden or patio furniture, or experiment with two-tone effects for something entirely unique. As for selecting paint: be sure to choose a weatherproof acrylic latex formula that resists chipping, flaking, and chalking for optimal results.
Before painting your picnic table, start by giving its surface a thorough cleaning using a solution of mild soap and water. Remove any signs of mildew or mold growth. Lightly sanding will allow new paint to adhere better, as will filling any cracks with caulk or spackle; finally, sand again to ensure the surface is free of roughness or unevenness.
Once the surface of your picnic table has been properly prepared, apply a primer to extend its longevity and make painting easier.
Allow the primer to fully dry before proceeding with your project; when finished, painting should start immediately! When painting outdoor or barn surfaces be sure to use high-quality outdoor or barn paint specifically made for exterior use as these types are intended to last better in harsh climate conditions.
A picnic table is more than just outdoor furniture; it’s an expression of your individual style and the perfect place for gathering with family and friends for meals. Here are our top 5 picks for vibrant wood stains or colorful picnic tables to give you maximum results and protection!
Majic PAINTS Interior/Exterior Satin Enamel
- Color: Ivory Flake
- IDEAL FOR DIY PROJECTS: Repurpose furniture, trim, cabinets, doors, or any project you have in in mind
- SUPERIOR COLOR-RETENTION: Levels to a beautiful smooth satin finish
- EASY-TO-APPLY: Sticks to any surface without sanding or priming
- ALL-PURPOSE USE: Perfect for wood, metal, brick, drywall, glass, steel, tile, vinyl, aluminum, most...
This exterior paint is perfect for picnic tables as it resists chipping, cracking, and fading.
Made with a water-based formula that’s safe for the environment and contains no harmful chemicals; additionally, this superior coverage paint comes in multiple colors like brown and black with a glossy finish to add beauty while protecting from sun damage.
A good picnic table paint should be simple to apply, and this product does just that. With its low-odor formula and quick drying time, this paint is great for both indoor and outdoor projects alike. Plus, its excellent coverage hides imperfections on wood surfaces; plus it works on different materials including metal and masonry!
While staining picnic tables is an effective solution, painting offers more color choices and is easier on maintenance costs than staining.
No matter which choice is made, however, when using outdoor wood paint it must be specially formulated to protect from fading and wear over standard paint options; using different hues may create two-tone effects by painting different areas differently: for instance, painting the top a neutral hue like eggshell blue while painting the bench an eye-catching hue such as apple green is another popular two-tone option.
KILZ Low-Lustre Enamel Porch & Patio
- PORCH & PATIO PAINT: KILZ Porch and Patio Floor Paint is a 100% acrylic latex product providing a...
- ADVANCED FORMULA: This Acrylic paint offers a low-lustre enamel surface that is formulated to endure on...
- MULTIPLE USES: Ideal for porches, floors, decks, basements, patios, siding, trim, furniture and...
- SUPERIOR COVERAGE: This 1 Gallon can of KILZ Enamel Porch and Patio latex paint covers 300-400 square...
- KILZ has been making premium primers and paints for 40 years and leverage this experience in every gallon...
Painting outdoor furniture can not only make your picnic table look better but can also act as an effective means of protection. A good sealant can protect wood against weather damage and keep it looking new for years. Depending on which stain type is chosen, however, regular touch-ups may be required to maintain its look.
To maximize the effect of your paint job, choose colors that complement those found in your house and garden. Once selected, use accent pieces such as flowers to tie these hues together.
Another fun idea would be painting long stripes in contrasting hues – paint one section of your table eggshell blue first before taping off two-inch stripes before painting over this taped area with another shade, such as apple green. Allow enough drying time between coats.
Apart from being easy to clean, the ideal paint for a picnic table should have UV resistance and high durability, as well as high coverage so you can cover its surface in one or two coats.
A spray gun makes this process even simpler. Alternatively, stencil a pattern onto your picnic table for an upscale home magazine-worthy picnic table look!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.